...the Wise, the Witty, and the Waste of your time...

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Disturbed....

This poem was shown to me by a Mormon fellow I volunteer with. Its quite a brave, perhaps dangerous poem. This is not the attitude I carry with me I'm afraid. I'm far too nearsighted. But it is my prayer that this will change...IS changing in fact.
Read on...

Disturb us lord when
We are too well pleased with ourselves
When our dreams have come true
Because we have dreamed too little
When we arrived safely
Because we sailed too close to the shore

Disturb us Lord when
With the abundance of things we possess
We have lost our thirst
For the waters of life
Having fallen in love with life
We have ceased to dream of eternity
And in our efforts to build a new earth
We have allowed our vision
Of the new Heaven to dim.

Disturb us Lord to dare more boldly
To venture on wider seas
Where storms will show your mastery
Where losing sight of land
We shall find the stars
We ask You to push back
The horizons of our hopes
And to push into the future
In strength courage hope and love.
-Sir Francis Drake

No comments: