...the Wise, the Witty, and the Waste of your time...

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Money from God

As soon as our feet touched Australian soil (or rather, Australian tile in the airport) Justin developed an intense desire for real Turkish kebabs. Not shish-kebabs, kebab kebabs. Also called döner kebabs or kebaps. Real Turkish, spit roasted, yogurt sauced, pide-y (Turkish bread) goodness! The Turkish version of a Greek pita or gyro or a Mexican taco. Mmmmm....kebabs....

Pardon me while my eyes glaze over and drool begins to pool. You see, I've just had all my wisdom teeth pried from my head and eating in the past 24 hours has consisted of things I can mash onto the roof of my mouth with my tongue and swallow partially whole so I find myself particularly stimulated by images of tasty, meaty morsels tonight!

Yes so...Justin really wanted kebabs is what I was saying. Shortly into our vacation we set out to find some proper kebabs and found a cute little establishment tucked quietly into a small space on a busy street. I'm sure our lobsteresque skin revealed our tourist status even before we opened our mouths (Justin thought he'd be "cute" and call me Sebastian, I wasn't the least bit amused!) but the man behind the counter was happy to oblige us with some dinner! I hardly understood a word he said but it didn't seem to matter and in no time flat he'd whipped us up some fairly hefty kebabs. Half would have filled me but I wouldn't stop until my eyes were bulging.

As we sat and munched, a few people straggled in and out but being in the presence of fantastic company with a mouthful of scrumptulescent food, we really paid no attention. That is, until Steph suddenly snapped to attention and announced, "Hey, thats money on the ground!!" And sure enough it was. Money. On the ground. Just lying there. No people, no owners, not even our happy cook. Just money. It was only $5 but hey...it was $5!

It's funny how being in this situation we all immediately acted a little guilty, a little shifty. Should we? Should we not? How long had it been there? Who had dropped it? Was it bad to pick it up? Should we give it to the Kebab man? Find a homeless person?

In the end I picked it up. Obviously the one with the bluntest conscience, I reasoned that it was silly to just let it sit there. We hadn't the slightest clue who it originally belonged to. We weren't stealing. I didn't sneak over to it, I marched. I decided to view it as money from heaven, and as all money from heaven should be spent, it was designated our icecream fund! So off to Woolworth's we went.

However, God did get the last laugh! We couldn't believe our blessed luck of the evening when we discovered that the very largest tub (5L) of icecream was in fact, on sale for a mere $3.98!! Bug eyed, we snatched it up with our greedy little paws and drooled all the way to the counter, even snagging a $1 chocolate bar on the way, because free money should be fully spent! Imagine our reactions when our poor cashier announced our total to be $10.90! "What? Why? Um that sign said it was $3.98! Are you sure?" She had no sympathy on us (and no idea she was ruining our free icecream from God) so we paid for our tub of sugar and cream.

What would you have done?

3 comments:

Stephanie and Brad said...

Hahahhaha- I had totally forgotten about that! Oh man. We actually went out for Kebabs again the other evening with Kate and Rob- they were delicious again, however I sure did make a mess. Then we came back to our place and ate ice cream and chocolate! It was wonderful- however, I do wish you guys could have been there..... :(

J Matt Miller said...

Aren't you glad that there is such a thing as a sense of humor......
~Diana

Martha A. said...

Huh, well I would have asked around about the money, if there were no owners kept it and if the sign said $3.98, I would have stood there until they went to check........
The kebabs sound good! I have had some really good Russian shish kebabs too.