...the Wise, the Witty, and the Waste of your time...

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

What goes through your mind late at night...

I've always had a dream of finding an abandoned child. I know thats almost creepy. What kind of sick person hopes a child will be abandoned? Let me hasten to say that I don't hope children are abandoned but because I know they are...I want to be one of the people that finds one. I used to fall asleep as a kid imagining what it would be like and where I'd find the baby and the very calm and wise way I would handle the situation. So calm and wise in fact that everyone would think I was obviously the proper person to take care of this child...even if I may have been only 8. And I'd come up with names and imagine being the youngest mother....yeah, anyway. Moving on.

So recently I was laying...lying...? Laying? I think it's Lying....anyway...

So recently I was lying in bed, mostly asleep. Justin was fast asleep beside me and I was in that 'in-between stage' when it feels like you're awake and you wish you could just fall asleep and then you roll over and it wakes you and you realize that your body was sleeping. Only your silly brain thinks it's awake.

So as I'm drifting off, all of a sudden, I heard a baby crying! Not even kidding, I heard a baby! It sounded like it was right outside my window or maybe closer to the garden spot, not desperately crying- softly crying. My heart was pounding before my eyes even had a chance to pop open. Of course as the adrenaline rushed toward my brain and it began functioning properly I quickly came to the realization that what I was imagining was perfectly impossible, ludicrous, not actually happening. I laid there blinking in the dark for what seemed like a full minute (but was probably about .7 of a second) trying to place this "cry" that sounded less and less like a baby and more and more like....Justin's nose whistling...!?

Yep, that's what it was. My own dear husband had a whinish sort of snore going on and my foggy brain had heard it as a baby's cry. And all in a matter of about 5 seconds I had already heard, rescued, named, and raised it. What a let down! I actually felt disappointed and almost shot a little glare at the offending nose. I didn't actually, I just said "almost." What I actually did was give him a little helpful prodding so he'd turn over. ...and then I pretended it really had been a baby and revisited my childhood 'abandoned baby' scenario. In a more grown up fashion. I'm 25 now...they really WOULD let me keep the baby!

4 comments:

Stephanie and Brad said...

I'm So going to sneak over to your house in the middle of the night and camp outside your window and play a recording of a baby! ..just kidding... I think I'd lack the energy for that. but cute story. i hope you can rescue a baby one day- it would be a very lucky baby to have you be its mom.

Pastor Greg said...

That is hilarious! I do the same thing! Well, its been a while because I've been so busy and tired my brain shuts down at night, but I used to imagine the same thing! What's that book, it was like the Twins of Sweet Valley High or what ever that series was and there was one book where these teenage girls found the baby in a basket...I read that thing probably five times! lol. Must be something about the Millers even though you'd think we all had enough of babies, and poopy diapers and runny noses and such!

Martha A. said...

Well, if you are weird, I guess I can join in! I have always expected that one day I will find a baby somewhere as well! I amazingly have discovered I am a mother and actually act like one, as amazing as that may be to the people who grew up with me disliking babies, not liking to play with dolls etc. I sometimes wonder how it happened!
Anyhow, maybe someday you will be blessed with being able to hear your own baby crying, and not have to imagine it through poor justin's nose!

Christy and Dustin said...

you are a brilliant writer Carolyn. Your posts always make me laugh. Maybe you should make one instead of hoping to find one in your garden at night. =)