...the Wise, the Witty, and the Waste of your time...

Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Stupid Celebrities...

Am I the only one getting sick and tired of having celebrity garbage shoved down my throat?

While standing in the checkout line to buy cheese you can quickly scan headlines and learn anything from what color toenail polish they prefer to their favorite position in bed to who is lying about cheating with who. Are we obsessed or just brainwashed?

Honestly, if a stranger came up to you on the street and volunteered to tell you their dirty secrets or the way they drink their coffee, would you listen? Or if someone tried to sell you and handful of pictures of their extended family's hidden cellulite...would you take them....much less BUY them?

Who decided we need to know this stuff? Why why WHY do I know all these useless facts about all these conceited, obscenly rich people? I hate it. I hate that I know who Jessica Simpson is dating and what Brittany Spears looks like through her clothes. How can we turn it off? The only reason, the ONLY reason these so called "famous" people are famous and rich is because WE MAKE THEM FAMOUS AND RICH! They should be taking OUR pictures and reading OUR bios! We are the ones who watch their movies, buy their music, and read their stupid stories. If we stopped, they would have to go work at Burger King for minimum wage. Then they could no longer afford their 24/7 hair dresser and $13,000 jeans and they would have to look like our neighbors and live like our families.

Most disgusting of all is that you don't have to be talented at a single thing or even be decent or a nice person to be famous. They're now famous just for being famous. Being INfamous pays just as well as being famous so you can actually live like absolute pigs and people will STILL celebrate your rotten self just because you are beautiful and 'famous.' Actually, to be more acurate, your hair extensions and make up and fake nose and fake breasts and fake tan are beautiful, no one has any idea what you actually look like.

No, I'm not bitter. Maybe hateful, but not bitter. :) How am I going to be able to teach my girls about true beauty and character and femininity when these disgusting, self centered, fake, vulgur women take center stage? How do I wade through the muck for what is real and true and noble and good? Its hard enough for me much less an impressionable 13 year old.

Maybe by the time I have daughters, the Paris Hiltons and Britany Spears of the day will actually be beautiful and worth celebrating...although I have my doubts.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am often horrified by my own fascination with this stuff - I mean, I do catch myself scanning the mags at the checkout or worse!! - clicking on a link on a news site.

I don't have children and am past that point but I worry about young people - girls and boys... how do we motivate them to look aspire to be truly good and beautiful inwardly - rejecting the stupidity and self-destructivness we see.

I have read that the best thing you can do for your children is to love your spouse well. So - by example of our own character and the character of the people we surround ourselves with we can live in the way we would hope our children would choose.

I think that often works - look at you! - and your friends!!!

Single In The City said...

Carolyn you have hurt my feelings I would gladly look at pictures of your extended relitives celulite. I would also look at pictures of you trying to get pictures of their celulite.:)

ruth said...

carolyn, when you say our married to your bestfriend do you mean grace? ;-)