...the Wise, the Witty, and the Waste of your time...

Thursday, March 22, 2007

New job...

Soooooo....guess who has a job?

After waiting (and complaining if i must be honest) for so long for a job I fully intended to not only LOVE working but to be OUTSTANDING. Maybe even to make manager in a month.

Manager of what you ask?

Anything! I had myself convinced I could train horses, paint skyscrapers, or run a bank....just give it to me and sit back and watch.

....rriiiight.... I had apparently forgotten the utter confusion and clumsiness of beginning a new job. Something as simple as adding 1 nickel and 3 pennies becomes stressful (for me anyway) because I want to be so sure I'm doing it exactly right.

So I find myself with the complex task of being a cashier and have a hard time remembering just to give customers their change. Not their correct change mind you, thats printed on the screen, their change. I just shut the drawer and say "thankyou very much" (with a pained expression on my face because I'm not actually thanking them, I'm trying to remember if this is the appropriate time in the transaction to be saying 'thankyou') and they stutter out, "uh, um, er, I think....would you mind.....wouldn't I have some change from a $20 if I only bought an apple?"

"Oh...hehe...yes....$19.60 actually. Sorry about that." Believe me, there is no graceful recovery.

Yesterday was my first day and it began with my worst case scenario. My new boss told me he'd be calling me on Monday to tell me when to come in. Monday came and went with no phone call, as did Tuesday. Wednesday morning I panicked to Justin...."what if he left a message on someone else's phone and I'm supposed to go in today?" I convinced myself I was being paranoid and proceeded about my day. 11am rolls around, i'm just home from a jog, sweaty and red faced and i'm waxing my upper lip....the phone rings. "Hi Carolyn, this is Richard...were you planning on making it today!" AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!! My intution was correct, there had been a mistake and there they were, waiting for me to show up and i'm home in my underthings with muslin strips dangling under my nose. (i know, beautiful picture isn't it!)

This of course shot me straight into high stress mode for the rest of the day and than I crashed in the evening! And last night for the FIRST time in our marriage, I fell asleep FIRST. (which means we slept with the light on until 2am)

I'm tellin' you, stress'll kill ya.

So...the people are great, the position is ....cashier. A little repetitive. There's actually one other job opportunity i want to explore tomorrow (don't tell my boss) but if it goes nowhere....its the organic grocery for me. :) Can't complain. Like i said, the people are great. That makes all the difference.

Oh yeah....the shirts we "get" to wear are awesome. Words like, bland, shapeless, huge, old sheets, come to mind. Justin actually laughed outloud when I came home wearing my outfit. It would be more feminine to wear coveralls.

Speaking of which....why am i still wearing mine when i'vebeen off for 2 hours!?

3 comments:

Angela said...

Hi Carolyn! Yay for the new job! That's exciting! :)

Single In The City said...

Carolyn, Carolyn. I miss dealing with customers so much. Forgetting to give the change. My policy in customer service is that I am never wrong. The customer is ALWAYS stupid. So if you forget to give the change make them feel like it was their fault. "Well if you would stop talking I could pay attention! Like I care about the mundane details of your life." Just something to try? It seemed to be a good policy for me:) Love Grace

J Matt Miller said...

Does the new job mean that we don't get to hear from you anymore? ~Diana