...the Wise, the Witty, and the Waste of your time...

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Ticker Schmicker

My pregnancy ticker says the same thing today as it did yesterday! I don't know why it was a day early but I have to say, I'm glad it's staying the same and not proclaiming either "Yay, the baby is here" or counting days overdue. From here on out, every day is the due date!

And speaking of tickers, I obliterated the one on Facebook. Great casualty, I know. I've had people point out to me that it's never on track but every time I checked it, it was. This morning it said I was 37 weeks and 6 days....then it suddenly changed its mind and decided I was 41 weeks and 4 days. You know, you just gotta do everything yourself these days. So the truth is...

Today is the due date.

Today is the day that a doctor pulled out of a hat and tacked on my chart in order to torture me. I'm supposed to go into labor....TODAY. Now every day that I continue being pregnant, I'm "over"due, I'm doing it wrong, I'm late, I'm not progressing as I should, I'm over-baking the baby, I'm slow, I'm behind, and I'm getting slightly more irrational. Even though I know that it's just a date on the calendar and practically meaningless, I can't help but pin some hopes on July 14th.

Which, according to my calculations...is probably actually, in all honesty, according to the information they give us and my memory of October's activities.....earlier than it should be. But only by a few days.

I'm going to start a campaign for making due Weeks. It would be so much kinder to the mothers.

And PS. ...It would be unwise to call and ask if I'm in labor because I'M NOT!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is the worst part of pregnancy! Hang in there the baby will come some time :)
Ruth

Bonnie said...

Thinking of you Carolyn. I know how much the waiting sucks! :) And I love that you wrote, "it is unwise to call and ask if I'm in labour..." I got SO many phone calls and emails, asking that and I just about went CRAZY!! I remember telling Jon that if ONE MORE PERSON asks me if I'm in labour, I'm going to fly off the handle :)
Hope little Wiebe makes his/her appearance soon! All the best!

J Matt Miller said...

There is not much one can say to an "overdue" mama that doesn't irritated and aggravate... Trust me, I know. The odds are that you will not be pregnant forever even though it feels otherwise.
~Diana

Martha A. said...

I think have Due Weeks is a great idea....38-42 weeks will be due weeks....

I had my moms record to live up to, which was going really overdue so thankfully I had two overdue and two that were not. One was actually a bit early and one was just a bit over his due date.

the funny thing is all of them when tested, were right on time and the two that were really overdue had the most vernix.....it was weird! Anyhow, all that to say that your baby knows when the date is and it is so tough to wait.

So, we are waiting to hear......but no calling! I hear you!

Erin said...

Yeah, who do doctors think they are anyway, giving us ONE DAY to look forward to. That's ridiculous. How bout a DUE MONTH.
And about the watermelon...bahhaha! The last days are so full of irrational grumpiness and it's so hilarious see it happen to Carolyn. You do grumpiness well my friend. I almost don't feel bad for you. Almost. :)