...the Wise, the Witty, and the Waste of your time...

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Overwhelmed

It seems in these last week, I am easily overwhelmed. I haven't actually cried too many times but I've been on the verge multiple times a day.

Yesterday I realized that if newborns really go through 13 diapers a day than I have about 1 1/2 days of diapers on hand. I was actually completely thrilled at the prospect of going out and buying some but all the thrill went screaming down the aisle when I got to the store and was faced with a wall of diapers.

It probably took 5 minutes just to locate the sizes on the packages, I felt completely inadequate because I had no idea what "scooters" and "swaddlers" stood for. I'd thought I was figuring it out when Justin pointed out I was holding Pull Ups! That's all it took for MotherHood to came crashing down around my feet and I straight panicked. Actual panic, fear, insecurity...all the "I can't do this" feelings in the world came roaring in. Over diapers.

When I did discover "N" for newborn, the problem didn't disappear because then there were about 8 choices, with umbilical cut out, the green choice, organic cotten, blow-out safe, cheaper, more expensive, 36 in a pack, 40 in a pack...WHAT THE HECK IS THE RIGHT ONE!?!?! And for real, $30 for 5 or 6 days of diapers?? Is this reality??? Let me tell you, we did not budget for this.

So anyway, I might have had just a few wee tears right there in Walmart. Justin is very patient with me...somehow diaper options wasn't quite as traumatic for him as it was for me so he was the strong shoulder while I melted down.

Am I normal?

Lie if you have to.

10 comments:

Moriah said...

You are normal...and who said 13 diapers a day? i guess if you change them every time it's slightly damp. However, I haven't had diapers in a while so maybe I'm forgetting...yikes!!!
It was the same way for me, I thought I knew everything there was about babies from taking care of the kids growing up. Not that those experiences didn't help, but there are so many decisions that you don't have to make when they are your parent's kids. Like buying diapers!!!

Nini said...

Carolyn, you are normal...and yes...you will go through a lot of diapers in the beginning...but it doesn't last long. After a few weeks, baby will get more regular...and you will change diapers 5-6 times a day. Don't worry!

I wrote a blog about diapers once. I am a pampers snob. I tried huggies and tried to be cheap, but alas...Analise soaked through Huggies every time. I spent more doing laundry on soaked through diapers than I did on diapers. I love Pampers Swaddlers.

Pampers Swaddlers are the diapers our hospital here uses. They are so nice and soft and they smell nice and they don't soak through. Swaddlers are the name of the diapers from Newborn size through size 3. Once your baby is bigger, like Jameson, then the name of the Pampers changes to Cruisers. Same diaper, just bigger and different name. So there you have it. I vote Pampers if you are going to use disposable diapers.

You are going to do a FABULOUS job being a mom. Please remember that you were made to do all of this. You have a fabulous husband, a wonderful family and great friends. God created you with all that you need to parent this child. The most important thing to remember is that you are not meant to do it alone. CHRIST in you!

Loving you, praying for you, and so excited for you. You really are going to be a great mom!

Amanda Brown said...

Yes, you're more than normal. Your hormones are a-raging right now and will continue to throw you for a loop for a while even after your new babe is here. Embrace those tears and irrational meltdowns! Join the club, this Sisterhood of the Weepy. :)
You are going to be such a great mom, Carolyn. Diapers, shmiapers.

PS: I always liked Pampers Swaddlers (buy Newborn and Size 1, just in case you have a heifer of a baby) but to each her own. :)

Jennifer said...

You are totally normal so don't feel bad about it at all. I also loved Pampers when Ryan was little and he went into 1 right away instead of newborns so having some of each is a good idea.

grace said...

just thought id see if baby came early.
i hate that overwhelming feeling and all the choices on new things you don't know about. it passes. you'll be a seasoned mom soon.
we always go straight to costco and get a huge pack for about 35 dollars in size one as soon as the cord falls off. even though there a bit big the price is right. im doing cloth diapers now though. that only cost about 200 dollars to get fully outfitted and lasts so long. probably not a path you would like im a thinking though. blessings. grace.

J Matt Miller said...

I will be there- with diapers, to help you out. Isn't is strange how sometimes it seems that we are taking the big things in stride and it is the little things that break us down.
Did Grace really go to MT for the weekend? She must be pretty sure that the baby is going to wait for her to get back.
About the Facebook lady that has your name.... She said that she was Amish in IN and knows all our cousins and apparently we have met before. Also we are somehow related twice removed through the marriage of her brother....
~Diana

Montana said...

Diana...hmmm....sounds like a case of Identity theft to me! Gr.
And Grace is not confident the baby won't come, she keeps calling to make sure that I remember not to go into labor!

Grace B. Diana is actually helping me get set up with cloth so we're intending to take that route nearly from the get go. I think I'm looking forward to it...plus Justin said if I went cloth he'd do the diaper laundry and though I don't expect he'll like it...he'll keep his word.
Carolyn

Martha A. said...

Poor thing!! Yeah, diapers can be overwhelming, but for sure not a sign you are not ready for motherhood!
I had boys who leaked out of all Huggies and for my first used Luvs or Pampers, but eventually switched to the cheap Walmart store brand, although i think target has the nicest store brand newborn diapers. You are brave for using cloth!

Moriah said...

I wondered who that lady was...even has your middle name!!!

Tianna said...

Um either your pregnancy ticker is confused or I am Really confused...it's monday right?