...the Wise, the Witty, and the Waste of your time...

Monday, May 7, 2007

Success!

Woohoo!! You'll all be pleased to know that there are real plants growing right side up in our garden!!!! Our peas and our beans are poking through and they even look healthy and happy! I'm so excited! I feel like a master gardener!! A few weeks ago we planted our potatoes, corn, beans, peas, and broccoli. Yesterday I planted parsley, sage, oregano, dill, basil, cilantro/coriander, and chives in the herb section and zuchinni, cucumbers, lettuce, spinach, carrots, and radishes in the salad section!! I still have to get some peppers and tomatoes in.

My favorite thing about my garden is the fact that its small. The rows are very short. I purposely planted some things in two short rows rather than one long one to make it more a "play" garden. Not the garden of slavery I spent my childhood summers in!

I also have lots of sunflowers to plant but apparently they don't encourage the growth of some veggies so I'll have to plant them somewhere outside of the garden. And there's also an empty spot in front of our house that needs attention but this master green thumb is a little unsure of herself with the flowers so she's taking her time. I know I'm going to plant nasturtiums and rosemary but I'm unsure what else. Apparently nasturtiums are fully edible, flowers, leaves, and seeds. And the more flowers you pick, the more they grow! Plus, nasturtiums and rosemary both do well in poor soil, underwatered, and neglected. Hmm...does this say something about my confidence!?

No comments: