...the Wise, the Witty, and the Waste of your time...

Friday, October 26, 2007

Nasturtium invasion

My garden is past, done, kaput. Note that I stopped posting pictures of it several months ago. Justin and I went to SK in August and upon our return, things were not quite as happy as they'd been in spring. Since than my plants have always looked a little ragged. It might have had something to do with the fact that i have absolutely no way of knowing how to fight for the health of a plant. If its green, sweet. If something's wrong...well than I guess its a goner. Even though my plants showed signs of strange maladies, they produced quite a wealth of lovely vegetables which we thoroughly enjoyed. But now...summer is officially over, I think the tomato plants froze last night (I couldn't be bother to cover them cuz it was raining!) and everything else has already been torn out. It was a good experience...mostly. Gardening is a lot of work and for me...its not so much a "labor of love" as it is just a "Labor" you know.

And furthermore, has anyone here ever planted Nasturtiums? Yeah those plants are crazy! I have a love/hate relationship with them. I planted them because I was intrigued that the entire thing is edible and tastes like pepper; and because they do well when neglected. I just didn't know HOW well. I planted them as a border in a sandy little flower spot and of course, watered sporadically because I'm like that. None of the other plants stood a chance. The "border" is so healthy and robust and huge, it took over the flower patch and is actually creeping INto our house!


























I posted this picture a while back...notice the tiny contained little nasturtiums along the front and side.













And now look....I'm actually a little bitter at them, this was not the look I'd intended and I can't MAKE them die. Rain or shine, hot or cold, water or no water...they just get bigger! Because I'm bitter about them choking out the other plants (those plants are almost all still there, ya just can't see 'em!), I give them a daily kick as I go by. Unfortunately I think they like that! I've had to trim them back from the door several times.













See what I mean....they're actually crawling into the house here!
















They are pretty though, I can't deny it. And because they are I might have just the tiniest little soft spot for them...

2 comments:

Angela said...

Oh my goodness....I planted some of those exact green leaves and flowers in my garden too and have noticed them kind of taking over the garden. But they are doing so well.

...my tomatoes are long gone too.

Martha A. said...

I never had them grow that well! Funny!
They are nice, I thought they are really pretty there!