...the Wise, the Witty, and the Waste of your time...

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Hate? Mee!?!?!

Today, my coworker approached me and informed me she'd run into one of our clients over the weekend and this client asked if I could please be replaced because...she hates me. Hates me! Thats what she said. She hates me. Her reason is because I'm always in a bad mood!?!? Someone hates me because I'm always in a bad mood?! AaaaAAAaa! This isn't supposed to happen; people are supposed to LIKE me. Its not nice to hate!

My coworker assured me I shouldn't worry because she works with me and I'm not a grumpy or moody person. She feels the reason for the hatred is actually jealousy or competition. I don't feel much better. I'm still hated and hating isn't nice. And I'm nice.

So the hater is 15. We have a youth program every Friday afternoon/evening where we have them at the office, feed them dinner, and usually do something fun like go swimming of mini golfing etc. There's always two or three staff members and 5-11 kids so we're of course always having to remind them not to swear or talk bad about each other or fight or visit filthy websites or hog the games etc. But we ALL work together to keep them behaved, I'm not the only bad guy! And because I'm such a pushover, half the time if I can get away with pretending I didn't hear the "f" word or see the quick cat fight, I do because I hate confrontation. So honestly, I don't think I can be accused of being insufferable to hang out with at work. And truthfully, I really like my job and I don't think I've ever even BEEN in a bad mood while on shift. So I'll go with the jealousy theory...except that I'm ten years older than her. How do we even have anything in common enough that there could be any competition or jealousy?

You know, that reminds me..... I'm ten years older than her......I shouldn't even be phased by this. Darn it, almost 25 and still an insecure, sensitive whiner. I must have forgotten to grow out of this and learn how to be the "bigger man." I know why, its my childhood. I had a rough childhood. I remember once I got teased. And sometimes my siblings called me Chronic Complainer in a singsongy chant. And one time an older sister took me to task for refusing to allow the younger sister (who was my age) to play with us AND....she called me Carrots too! (ahem....mar-ahem-tha!) This is why I'm so sensitive. I'm the victim here! I can't help my reaction. I feel I should be lying on a couch as I bare my wounded soul here.

Sigh.

Ok...its true, I'm being a baby. I need to stop worrying about it and go to bed. There are bigger problems in the universe. Like global warming. I actually heard on the radio today that..... "Glacieroligists predict that NO glacier anywhere is immune to global warming. And they really mean, NO glacier..."
Oh my.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Well, even if you are complaining.....you put a smile on my face : )

Stephanie and Brad said...

Carolyn- I dont' hate you. I think you're quite wonderful and I'm sorry to hear that some little girl is making you worry like that. I think we all want to be liked, even if it's only by a 15 years old. I hope that it gets better. We miss you guys. Hope you're all doing well.

Anonymous said...

Carolyn. I love to read your blog.You really need to think about writing a book. You and Diana both. The double barreled sling shot stories are just abit much for old Dad tho.Sorry about your childhood, never knew till now about that singsongy chant thing. No wonder!! Love Dad

ruth said...

I don't hate you!

Martha A. said...

Hmmm, am I getting blamed in some way for your problems now??? ........this does not seem fair! You were a cute carrot! = ) Sorry for causing you life long damage!

On a more serious note, you know, it hurts when people do not like you, even when you know you did nothing wrong. It gives us all a good time to practice the "Do good to those that hate you" verse, even though it is so tough.

Moriah said...

It doesn't matter how stupid it is or if they have no real reason to be upset, I can't stand it when someone doesn't like me or I even think they are mad at me. And when no one is upset, I imagine they are. So, to sum it up, I have no advice for you but totally understand. This seems to be a nonsense comment. lol