...the Wise, the Witty, and the Waste of your time...

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Swimming

Swimming. I don't know how to swim. I've never learned. I used to be able to doggy paddle but somehow I became more concerned with water getting in my ears, eyes, and nose than learning to swim and gave it up entirely. Most people float naturally, I sink naturally. I was declared dead by one enthusiastic swimming teacher in eighth grade because i sink like a rock.

Now Justin on the other hand, is like a fish. He loves water and almost all water sports. To him there is absolutely nothing frightening about jumping into the deep unknown, swimming with eyes open and nose unplugged. To me, thats suicide. Certainly not something FUN. I gave up on swimming a long time ago but the one thing that brings me back is my competitive nature. How can I NOT do this when everyone else, even toddlers, CAN!

So this summer I've been practicing. Every time Justin gives me lessons I get addlepated with embarassment because I feel silly not knowing how AND...swimming gets water in your face! However, Justin's patiently taught me the beginning and I've been going out on my own in water up to my shoulders to practice. I pretend I'm invisible and flounder around above water about 30 seconds at a time and feel like an absolute olympian for it! I know its not much but its SOMETHING and I'm excited!! I can actually tread water and swim about 10 feet at a time withOUT panicking. (after the 10 feet I definitely panic because I'm breathing hard which means I'm tired which means I'll give out and drown! Of course.) AND, I have gone under the water several times and while under, released my death grip on my nose! I didn't even drown. Water does not automatically push into your lungs and suffocate you if you don't inhale! I didn't know this.

I even have pictures to prove my baby steps in the water!

Staring death in the face.


My first attempt at an underwater photo 1 month ago.


Me on Sunday! Yay! Look how much I've improved!


And check this out, even smiling. I was concentrating on not breathing in, thats of course my natural response to having my head underwater, but i faked a smile of sorts.


And just for variety, here's Grace. Hot isn't she?


And this is the only one we got of Sally...oops. Well thats her hair anyway. Nice evil eyebrows.


Justin and his brother Nathan. These two are part seal.


I'm under water? No problem, I'll just breathe with my gills.


The man can even pose angelically under H2O.

8 comments:

Christy and Dustin said...

i didn't even know you had a blog! Sweet! I'll be stopping by frequently!

Martha A. said...

Could it have something to do with that in Mt the water is frigid for 80% of the year and unless you have a pool to practice in you, you just do not get much practice growing up....... plus I have the excuse of a couple of near drowning experiences...one in Lk. Koocanusa....so, anyhow all that to say that I do not know how to swim either, and would like to learn, but you know I sink also!

ruth said...

what an inspiring blog post carolyn!

Stephanie and Brad said...

Congratulations Carolyn. I'm impressed to see you conquering your fears. I'm glad that I'll have a friend on the beach here, if you guys have the chance to stop over. Everyday we watch the waves and Brad tries to tell how I'd do so swell out there and eeryday I think- no thank you. Good luck with the swimming. You're in the most beautiful place to learn how.

Jennifer said...

Love the post, and good luck with the swimming. I LOVE it : ) Hubbies not as crazy about it though. And swimming pools are not near as great as what you have.

Moriah said...

OMG, I can't swim and neither can all the older kids in our family. I am like you, I sink. Although, I am making some progress lately. I can actually lay on my back and float if I don't make any sudden movements. I can swim for a short distance and then panic because I am too tired and need to touch the bottom. I guess playing the creek all our lives didn't teach us much about swimming. I get so jealous of my husband and Mom, people who just effortlessly stay in deep water for hours without a nagging fear of drowning. lol

Maria said...

Carolyn, I see my sisters have all expressed our joy that we have met another adult who cannot swim and feels so out of place when others are diving in, including children. People look at me like I'm some sort of pansy and try to pull me in making fun of me for not wanting to get wet. Little do they know, I'm afraid I will sink... My kids are great swimmers. I didn't want them to be like me so I put them in swimming lessons and take them swimming regularly. I was just wondering if your other siblings can swim? I'm not horribly afraid of water I can swim...sorta. I'm afraid of deep water! he he

Martha A. said...

Are you going to take a new birthday picture? It is almost Sept. Twoth!