...the Wise, the Witty, and the Waste of your time...

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Death - Famine - Winter - Disease - Crime

I hate winter. I know I shouldn't say it but its true, I hate it. I haven't always hated it, I remember looking forward to winter as a kid. I loved the cold, the snow, school, Thanksgiving. Funny, Christmas was never anticipated...we were too poor to celebrate Christmas so we barely acknowledged it in the first half of my life. I do remember distinctly one year when mom bought a rather festive piece of material from Joanne's Fabrics and put it on the table for Christmas, I thought our place was the fanciest in the neighborhood because of it! Dad only worked half a day and we had some sort of glazed pineapple ham dinner. That, seriously, made Christmas for me that year! It felt extravagant and wealthy!

Anyway, things have changed. I still anticipate winter all summer long but with an ever growing despondency. I think I should have been born a bear, hibernation is the only thing that really sounds sensible to me from November to April. My husband could probably argue that during those months I actually AM a bear.

So, having begun with lament, I now make a resolution that THIS winter will be different! I will be cheerful, positive, snowloving, and discover a winter sport or hobby! I shall rediscover the magical essence of a world dressed in white, breath you can see, and icecycles. *sigh* Did that sound too rehearsed and just a tiny bit forced?

I've been compiling a list for myself of some positive aspects of winter because I really can't bear the thought of barely enduring it with my sanity in shreds at my feet. I thought I'd share some with you all in case you also experience the winter blahs/blues!

I don't know who this poor kid is but I feel a strong connection between us!

  • hot drinks
  • long sleeps
  • stews and soups and enchiladas, all the hot meals you don't feel like eating in summer
  • shoes with arch support (flip flops hurt my feet)
  • sweaters
  • cozy blankets
  • books, lots of books
  • time for pulling out the hobbies
  • everything slows down
  • a time to try a new activity, Justin and i talk about taking pottery, learning to waltz, or cross country skiing...its fun to talk about!
  • Christmas
  • Thanksgiving
  • no gardening
  • thick socks
  • How clean the world looks
  • Time...more of it
And now I need help...what are some more good things? Your additions go below.

  • You don't have to shave your armpits and legs as often -Tianna Riemer (I unfortunately, need to otherwise I'd be mistaken for a Sasquatch....it gets pretty bad!)
  • I've always thought "winter beds" were so much more cozy than summer beds. The blankets are thicker and softer and it just seems way more snuggly than in the summer. Yay for winter beds!!
  • I also look forward to the candle scents that come out in winter. Cinnamon, Apple-cinnamon, Winter Spice, Pumpkin Spice, Evergreen, Cranberry... love it, love it.
  • FIRE. Its cold enough to use a fireplace.
  • It smells so much better in Starbucks because they have their nutmeg, eggnog, peppermint, etc. lattes!! (Can you tell I like winter because of the smells??)
  • Holiday movies. A Christmas Story, Holiday Inn, White Christmas, Mixed Nuts, etc. NOT Miracle on whatever street or Its a Wonderful Life. Too cheesy.
  • CHRISTMAS LIGHTS!
  • People actually congregate! Particularly in my area of CA, you don't have a neighborly feel most places-- too busy, too crowded. In winter, its decent enough outside that people actually go downtown and just hang out. Or maybe I just slow down enough in winter to hang out myself?? hm... Contributed by Rachel Meeker.
  • Snowboarding (not that I get to do that down here)
  • I love all the scents that come out as well, the holiday, pine, cinnamin smells are all so yummy. (I'm sensing a theme here.)
  • Pumkin pie
  • Oh oh, Scarves, I am addicted to the things and can never wait to be able to wear them. -From Jennifer...? (I just realized I don't know your last name anymore...)
  • There's nothing quite like coming in for hot chocolate and a warm blanket after an afternoon of sledding or skating or skiing.
  • I also love to be more crafty in the winter. Sewing things, crocheting scarves, baking....mmmm shortbread, hot buns with butter, pumpkin pie, turkey, cider...need i go on?
  • Plus a shopping trip to Washington can be a pretty good salve to the open wound that the frightening, bitter cold of winter can bring..... -From Christy
  • -Sledding, I know I am grown up, but since I still do not ski and never will (unless certain requirements are met), it is free fun. (sledding hurts my tailbone, i'm a sissy)
  • -Snow, I hate driving in the snow, so it means I have a good excuse to say no and stay home as much as I want. Now if it would just snow alot this winter! We have not had a good winter for 10 years.
  • -Hot tea, I love hot tea (I'm supposed to like hot tea but its not nearly as good as latte's wirh eggnog and rum...)
  • -Warm pajamas- I love snuggly pajamas and you can wear them in the summer.
  • -Family get togethers- we have lots of birthdays in the winter so we see each other alot. These are usually positive. (hmmm...I sometimes wonder what Justin and I are THINKING living so far from either family!)
  • -The trees looks so pretty and it looks like everything is so peaceful outside. -by Martha A
  • more layers of clothing to wear to hide the fact that you have not been to the gym for about a year. (sad but true, you can blame all the bulk on the sweaters!)
  • Plus, lots of time for chocolate chip poker!
  • And have husbands come home early from work because they can't work in the dark! (very true, I love this reason, Steph.)
  • Plus, lots of time for chocolate chip poker! -From Steph
  • I have started to ski the last few years and that is one bright spot in the dreary cold. -by Moriah


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You don't have to shave your armpits or legs! At least not as often...

Unknown said...

1.I've always thought "winter beds" were so much more cozy than summer beds. The blankets are thicker and softer and it just seems way more snuggly than in the summer. Yay for winter beds!!

2.I also look forward to the candle scents that come out in winter. Cinnamon, Apple-cinnamon, Winter Spice, Pumpkin Spice, Evergreen, Cranberry... love it, love it.

3.FIRE. Its cold enough to use a fireplace.

4. It smells so much better in Starbucks because they have their nutmeg, eggnog, peppermint, etc. lattes!! (Can you tell I like winter because of the smells??)

5. Holiday movies. A Christmas Story, Holiday Inn, White Christmas, Mixed Nuts, etc. NOT Miracle on whatever street or Its a Wonderful Life. Too cheesy.

6. CHRISTMAS LIGHTS!

7. People actually congregate! Particularly in my area of CA, you don't have a neighborly feel most places-- too busy, too crowded. In winter, its decent enough outside that people actually go downtown and just hang out. Or maybe I just slow down enough in winter to hang out myself?? hm...

Jennifer said...

Snowboarding (not that I get to do that down here)

I love all the scents that come out as well, the holiday, pine, cinnamin smells are all so yummy.

Pumkin pie

Oh oh, Scarves, I am addicted to the things and can never wait to be able to wear them.

Anonymous said...

I used to like winter till I moved to Oregon..... It never/hardly snows here, it only rains and LOTS of it!!
Pottery class sounds like a lot of fun! We've talked about it but haven't found the time. Maybe when we are old..........

Ruth

Christy and Dustin said...

I also loved winter as a kid and now quite dislike it. But, I suppose having kids I'm now seeing the winter world again as i once did. There's nothing quite like coming in for hot chocolate and a warm blanket after an afternoon of sledding or skating or skiing.
I also love to be more crafty in the winter. Sewing things, crocheting scarves, baking....mmmm shortbread, hot buns with butter, pumpkin pie, turkey, cider...need i go on?

As for not shaving...Dustin says that in bed stubble is stubble and it sucks all year round! ;)

Christy and Dustin said...

Oh yeah.... Plus a shopping trip to Washington can be a pretty good salve to the open wound that the frightening, bitter cold of winter can bring.....

Martha A. said...

-Sledding, I know I am grown up, but since I still do not ski and never will (unless certain requirements are met), it is free fun.
-Snow, I hate driving in the snow, so it means I have a good excuse to say no and stay home as much as I want. Now if it would just snow alot this winter! We have not had a good winter for 10 years.
-Hot tea, I love hot tea
-Warm pajamas- I love snuggly pajamas and you can wear them in the summer.
-Family get togethers- we have lots of birthdays in the winter so we see each other alot. These are usually positive.

The trees looks so pretty and it looks like everything is so peaceful outside.

Jennifer said...

*grin* Jennifer Sebby

Stephanie and Brad said...

Honestly, all that talk of winter makes me a wee bit sad. I have never NOT been around for a snowy winter and while I am quite looking forward to the 35+ degree weather, I will miss the snowy adventures. Good things about winter: more layers of clothing to wear to hide the fact that you have not been to the gym for about a year.
Plus, lots of time for chocolate chip poker!
And have husbands come home early from work because they can't work in the dark!

Moriah said...

Ok, I'm with you. I hate winter. I think because it last so long....not the pretty white stuff, but the ugly dirty slushy stuff. I have started to ski the last few years and that is one bright spot in the dreary cold.
I also have to say that your house probably was the fanciest in the neighborhood!! At least from the perspective of a nearby neighbor.