...the Wise, the Witty, and the Waste of your time...

Thursday, November 1, 2007

For Tianna

Hi Tianna, I always ask people for recipes and never get them so this has been on my conscience for a the last week. I know "blogging" it is stupid but I don't know your email address so...gotta do what works! And yes I DID steal this photo from the world wide web.

Tamale Pie
1 LB Ground beef
1 Onion
1 Green Pepper
14 oz. Stewed or Diced Tomatoes (I rough chop the chunks a little)
2 ts. Chili Powder (I used more...just till it tastes good to you)
1 ts. Cumin (optional, my addition because we like cumin a LOT!) :)
1 ts. Salt

Brown beef with onion and green pepper; drain. Add tomatoes, chili powder and salt. Simmer for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile mix:

7 oz. pkg Cornbread mix
15 oz. Corn
1/3 c. Milk

Pour the meat mixture into a 2 quart casserole dish and top with cornbread mixture. Bake at 370 for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese and bake an additional 15 minutes.

As an alternative (I couldn't find ready made cornbread mix) you can just scrap their topping and make a small batch of cornbread to put on top. We like this recipe: 3/4 c. Yellow cornmeal 1 c. Flour (I use whole wheat, they'll never know the difference) 2/3 c. Sugar 3/4 ts. Salt 3½ ts. Baking Powder 1 c. Milk 1 Egg beaten 1/4 c. Oil Mix dry ingredients first and then add milk, egg, and oil. Add a can of corn and spread on top of meat mixture. Bake as directed above.

And if you are so inclined, you can also make the:

Verde Sauce
2 medium-sized green tomatoes, coarsely chopped (you can substitute yellow if you can’t find green ones, but never use red)
2 tomatillos, cleaned and chopped (if you don't have them, just use more green tomatoes)
1 jalapeno, stemmed and coarsely chopped (wear gloves)
2 small garlic cloves
4 sprigs cilantro (I use more but then, I'm addicted to it)
1 tsp. of salt

Combine chopped tomatoes, tomatillos, jalapenos and garlic in a saucepan. Bring to a boil (tomatoes provide the liquid), reduce heat and simmer 10 to 15 minutes.
Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Place tomato mixture with the cilantro and salt in food processor or blender and blend until smooth.

Or if you'd like a tasty, spicy chip dip, add 1-2 medium-sized ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and sliced into the blender and then stir in 1/2 cup of sour cream. Very tasty but it doesn't keep more than about 4 days.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

That looks really tasty. I will have to try both recipes soon.

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I really did like it!

Martha A. said...

you should post recipes more often! I love it when people put recipes on their blog, so I don't think it is stupid.....
The Verde sauce sounds wonderful, I may still have some green tomatoes I could use too! I really like cilantro also.